The flagpole at the Kommandantgaarden (General’s House)
Oppostite the church, in the eastern side of the Citadel, we’ll see the impressive Kommandantgård. (The General’s House) In the beginning the commandants lived in the southern end of Generalstok (General’s Barracks) that specifically got its name from this fact, since most commanders were indeed generals. But as Gerhard von Stöcken got in command 1724, he didn’t find this housing impressive enough for a commandant of the citadel, and in cooperation with the famous architect Elias Häusser he made a project for a new commander’s house. There was a blacksmith here, but the building was simply included in the project. The budget was for 5.279 Rigsdaler (but in the end costing over 10.000). The King approved the project, and von Stöcken got his impressive house. However, it was not only his residence, but held several offices and official rooms. Among these we find the “parolstue” behind the window just to the right in the picture. In this room count Struensee was grilled after his arrest in 1772, and here he learned about his death warrant.
Others also found the building attractive. In 1807 the Kastellet was occupied by British soldiers for 5 weeks after the bombardment of Copenhagen. During this timeframe the British general Cathcard moved in here, and during the German occupation 1940-45 all occupating divisions of Zealand had their divisional offices in this house.
Following the liberation in 1945 the house became residence for the Head of the Army, later the Chief of Defence, but is now undergoing repairs for other official uses.